Sunday 5 December 2021

Backyard Bee Census

The Backyard Bee Census, was organized for the first time this year by CERES from 14th till 21st November. CERES describes itself as an environmental education centre, community garden, urban farm and social enterprise hub. It is spread across four locations in Melbourne, Australia. Results from the count were shared with their partner Wild Pollinator Count and resulted in the largest count ever for this long term national project which tracks what insects are pollinating what plants, where and when. 

The Backyard Bee Census is the flagship citizen science event organized by Wild Pollinators Oceania. Results from this year's count will take some time to be released. See end of this post for links to these organizations. 

After so many rainy days I finally got to take part in the Bee Census on 17 November. I never knew so many types of insects visited our flowers! 

Each chosen single (or group) of flowers is watched for 10 minutes and insects which land are counted and identified where possible. 

The Yarrow attracted 2 beetles and 3 tiny (flies?), only 2 European Bees. 7 European Bees landed on the 30x30cms area of Lavender I chose to watch. Their pollen sacs were bursting! 

Only one European Bee and 2 unknown fast flying insects on the Salvia 'Waverley'. 

I didn't get to finish my sketchbook page about the count until 29th November. The garden plants where I did my count were drawn and painted on location, the insects were drawn from my own photos.

Since doing the census I now enjoy a new appreciation of the insects visiting my garden. 

#Sailorfude pen, watercolour, #Stillman&Birn Beta Sketchbook, 7.5”x 7.5”

#wildpollinatorcount #wildpollinatoroceania #CERES


No comments:

Post a Comment