Wednesday 19 April 2023

One Price Store

I was trying out a few new techniques here – painting in the shadow areas first instead of the usual method of doing them last, using more water in a wash at the bottom to give some variation in paint thickness and leaving some of the sketch unpainted. The shadow areas needed to be much darker than I had anticipated so they required a couple of layers of paint. The thin wash areas at the bottom ended up somewhat insipid and timid but I liked the unpainted right side of the sketch. So all in all, mixed success. 


This is One Price Store, Emerald Hill, one of my favourite places in Singapore. I have sketched this building on-location twice before but this is a virtual sketch from Google Maps.

#Sailorfude pen, watercolour,#Stillman&Birn Zeta Sketchbook, 7.5”x 7.5”.


No comments:

Post a Comment