Sunday 27 March 2022

Rumah Bebe

 A virtual visit to the exciting Rumah Bebe in Singapore to practice page design with the Casey U3A class I am a volunteer tutor for. This shop sells all things Peranakan Chinese (clothes, artifacts, food) and conducts beading classes and private tours.

My page spread shows the front of the shop, a set of Tingkat (a tier of containers for delivering food) and a plate of Peranakan (Nyona) cakes. 


The class called Sketch Your Story is held on Zoom and this exercise was done from 3 photos (the class pretended to be travellers going to the shop, not knowing what they were going to see or sketch next). 

The aim was to sketch from the 3 photos one after the other, designing on the fly ie. thinking about layout, main and secondary sketches, what to colour and what to leave uncoloured, improving the layout with headings, text and other embellishments. 

If I had done some pencil pre-planning I would have made the plate of cakes somewhat smaller. 

This class was a nostalgia trip for me as I am (on my father's side) a 7th generation Peranakan Chinese. 

To check out the shop click here. 

For a very short video on the Peranakan Chinese click here.

To learn about U3A and #Casey U3A click here.

#Sailorfude pen, watercolour, #Stillman&Birn Alpha Sketchbook, 8.5" x 5.5”


No comments:

Post a Comment