Thursday 17 February 2022

Garden Journal Summer 2022

Our Agapanthus flower stalks have grown very long this year (I think to ensure they get a lot of sun because the plants behind them are getting taller). They have all flopped over in the extreme heat.

It’s February and (I think) the worst of the summer heat is over but it’s already taken a toll on our edible garden. The birds are eating our tomatoes even before they ripen but the bees are still enjoying the spring onion seed heads.

They say sunflowers are easy to grow but it’s taken me 3 summers to achieve this. They really do need to start off in full sun and the seedlings need to be protected from being eaten. Although I did get them to their full expected height (5’3”), they aren’t particularly robust and didn’t fare well in the recent extreme heat. I’ll leave them for the birds to enjoy before I yank them out.

#Sailorfude pen, watercolour, #Stillman&Birn Beta Sketchbook,8.5" x 5.5".


No comments:

Post a Comment