Tuesday 1 August 2017

USk10x10+ASEAN50 Sketchmeet

In July I attended the week long USk10x10+ASEAN50 Sketchmeet in Singapore. 10 workshops for the 10th anniversary of the Urban Sketchers global movement and the 50th anniversary of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations). 

I signed up for 4 workshops: 

With Pramote Kitchumnongpan a sketcher from Thailand who draws with ink onto sprayed coloured wet backgrounds.


With Tia Boon Sim from Singapore who is the panorama guru of Urban Sketchers. Here is a sample of her work.



With Achilles Estremos (also known on Facebook as Uhky Uhky) a Filipino plein air watercolorist who paints scenes as if they had a raking light source. 



and with KC Lee, Kuala Lumpur sketcher extraordinaire of expressive urban scenes. Here is one of his sketches.



Here are some photos taken at the workshops.  The enthusiasm was uplifting.












All these 4 instructors have very distinctive ways of working which are way out of my comfort zone. I tended to try to sketch and paint like them during the workshops…with disastrous results. Looking back now that I’m home, it’s up to me to decide what new ideas I want to incorporate into my own work and see what works and doesn’t work with my own style and subject matter.

There was a call for submissions for an exhibition “We Draw ASEAN Together” which went with the 10x10 event and I had 3 sketches selected for the show. They will be exhibited at the gallery at Glocal Connect Village, Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore until the end of August 2017. Here some last minute touches.


My 3 sketches which were selected. These first 2 probably because they were the only ones submitted of moving subjects.




This third one made it in the "single colour" category.


Altogether it was an awesome week. There is great camaraderie within the Urban Sketchers global community and it was great to catch up with old sketcher friends and make new ones from among the attendees who came from several countries.  

At the closing ceremony:



And a wonderful video of the last day (thanks to Parka):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOgsO1HEJc

No comments:

Post a Comment