Saturday 18 February 2023

Sketching on the High Street

This is the second time I’m sketching this scene at what must be my favourite sketch spot - the High St, Berwick (an outer suburb of Melbourne). White concrete blocks put up for diners during Covid were replaced late last year by colourful blocks with matching umbrellas on a checkerboard floor in the same colours. I can’t say I like the garish colours! The statue is of Edwin Flack, Australia’s first Olympian. He used to live in the area. 



I started my sketch on an outing with two of the grandchildren (aged 8 and 10). Interestingly both dived into sketching the statue with no regard as to the difficult nature of their chosen task. Each achieved interesting results...in their own styles.


Predictably I wasn't able to spend long on my own sketch so I went back a second time to add the finishing touches.

#Sailorfude pen, watercolour, #Stillman&Birn Beta Sketchbook, 7.5”x 7.5”. #uskfebruaryprompt

No comments:

Post a Comment