Sunday 14 June 2020

Melbourne Urban Sketcher Challenges

When the Covid19 pandemic hit, all Melbourne Urban Sketcher events were cancelled. Instead the group organised 10 weekly challenges. Sketches were all to be done on-location inside or looking out from our homes.

I am grateful for these challenges as they were enjoyable and stimulating. They made me sketch subjects I don't usually sketch and I learnt to weave stories into everyday scenes. They also importantly helped me improve on my sketch techniques like no other period previously. 

Here's a few challenges:
Week 1 – Vehicles/Machinery 
A cute forklift. Sketched while standing outside the warehouse of Beacky Fresh (Fruit and Veg) in Beaconsfield. There was a shortage of eggs in the supermarkets at the time but this was the place to buy eggs! Lots of people were coming out with TRAYS of eggs!



Week 3  – All or one of Park/Garden/Plants
This maple tree in my tiny courtyard garden gives nice shade in the afternoons. Sketch done over 2 sessions as I ran out of time the first session. I decided to continue in panorama fashion. Here's as far as I got.




Week 6 – What you see outside your window at night 
My side gate which sometimes swings open because the latch doesn’t close. Sketched at night from my living room window. (The motion sensor light was on so lighting up the driveway behind the gate).



Week 7 – A scene to show what you are looking forward to after restrictions are eased 
I sketched my dining room. Looking forward to seeing family at my dining table again. I was working larger for a change and in a new sketchbook.  



Week 8  - A sketch showing some achievement
My side of our study. My achievements? Skype, FaceTime, Houseparty...and now Zoom! 


Week 9 - A scene which reminds you of what you are thankful for 
I have much to be thankful for, especially good health. Trying to eat right mostly but in this time of pandemic a little indulgence is allowed. Sketch done in my kitchen.


Week 10 – A sketch with foreground, mid ground, background 
How nice to be sketching outside again and a warm sunny day too! This scene of the Primary@Pioneer Cafe conveniently filled the challenge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment